Are you tired of deleting spam comments from your WordPress site? Are you tired of plugins that stops spam with captchas but reduces the number of your comments? Are you tired of fake anti-spam plugins? Don’t worry. All these will end after you finish reading this post.
What is WP-SpamShield Anti-Spam?
An extremely powerful and user-friendly WordPress anti-spam plugin that eliminates comment spam, trackback spam, contact form spam & registration spam.
An All-in-one Spam Solution for WordPress – Without CAPTCHAS
No CAPTCHA’s, challenge questions or other inconvenience to site visitors – it works silently in the background and simply makes WordPress spam disappear.
Supports: Contact Form 7, Gravity Forms, Ninja Forms, JetPack Contact Forms & Comments, BuddyPress, bbPress, WooCommerce, s2Member, WP-Members, Mailchimp, and many more, including almost all WordPress forms, and almost allWordPress registration forms.
How It Works
Most of the spam hitting your blog originates from bots, but quite a bit comes from humans too. This plugin works like a firewall to ensure that your commenters are in fact, human, and that those humans aren’t spamming you.
Two Layers of Spam Blocking
There are two layers of anti-spam protection that work together to block both automated (spambots) and human spam:
- The Algorithmic Layer
No More Wasted Time Sifting Through the Spam Queue
This type of solution works silently in the background, with no inconveniences. You won’t have to waste valuable time sifting through a spam queue any more, because there won’t be anything there.
WP-SpamShield is different from other anti-spam plugins in that it BLOCKS spam at the front door of your site and doesn’t allow it into the WordPress database at all. Many other anti-spam plugins simply label a comment as spam, leaving you to sort through a spam queue, which wastes your valuable time. WP-SpamShield will give you back your time!
Not allowing spam into the database improves security by potentially preventing SQL injection and XSS exploit attacks through automated spam comment submissions. The plugin also has several other features that improve security, such as blocking certain potentially dangerous URLs in spam comment submissions, and limiting comment size to 15kb. (15kb of text is roughly the equivalent of 3 typed pages in Microsoft Word, single-spaced, so that’s more than enough for even the longest of comments.) See this blog post for more info.
Helps Improve Overall Website Performance
The plugin helps keep your WordPress database slimmer and more efficient (keeping your site running faster in the long term) by not allowing the thousands upon thousands of spam comments into it, which could bloat the database and potentially corrupt it. Keeping your database lean is extremely important, because bloated databases result in much longer query times, slowing down a site dramatically even for simple functions. If website performance is important to you, then you definitely want an anti-spam plugin like WP-SpamShield instead of a plugin that uses a spam queue. See this FAQ for more detailed info.
ZERO False Positives
It does all this with ZERO false positives, because of the method used to block spam. This leads to fewer frustrated website visitors, and less work for you. If a comment/contact form/registration gets blocked as spam, the user is given instant feedback and has a chance to correct their comment/contact form/registration and try again. We are committed to keeping the promise of zero false positives.
100% Trackback Validation and Spam Blocking
The trackback validation contains a filter that compares the client IP address of the incoming trackback against the IP address of the server where the link is supposedly coming from. If they don’t match, then it is guaranteed spam, without fail. This alone eliminates more than 99.99% of trackback spam. Trackback spammers don’t send spam out from the same server where their clients’ websites reside. There are algorithmic filters in place to ensure 100% trackback spam blocking. Although it’s far more rare, the plugin protects again pingback spam as well. You can be confident that only legitimate trackbacks and pingbacks will get through.
Includes a Spam-Free Contact Form, and Anti-Spam for Contact Form 7, Gravity Forms, Ninja Forms, JetPack Contact Forms, and Others
Includes drop-in spam-free contact form, with easy one-click installation. Easy to use – no configuration necessary, but you can configure it if you like. (See Installation for info.) WP-SpamShield also includes automatic spam protection for Contact Form 7, Gravity Forms, Ninja Forms, JetPack Contact Forms, and more. (You don’t have to do anything…just add your Contact Form 7, Gravity Forms, Ninja Forms, or JetPack Contact Forms to your site, and they will automatically be protected.) It will now also automatically protect most forms on your WordPress site from automated spam, even if they are not listed here.
WordPress Registration Spam Blocking
The plugin also includes powerful protection from user registration spam. Once you install WP-SpamShield, you don’t have to worry about bots or spammy users signing up any more. (Note: This protects almost all registration forms, including the WordPress default registration form, and registration forms for bbPress, BuddyPress, WooCommerce, s2Member, WP-Members, and many more. See this FAQ for more info.
Stops Email Harvesters
The plugin has a feature to thwart email harvesting bots and keep them from scraping your site for email addresses. It automatically obfuscates plain text email addresses and mailto links in your website content by encoding them into HTML entities (hexadecimal and decimal character codes that look like gibberish to harvesters, but render the email addresses perfectly in a browser). It protects email addresses on pages, posts, comments, excerpts, and text widgets.
Why Not Just Use a CAPTCHA?
The concept of using a CAPTCHA as an anti-spam solution in this day and age is flawed for several reasons:
- It’s an outdated concept that has far outlived its usefulness, and was originally developed before user-friendliness was a high priority.
- It goes in the exact opposite direction of user-friendly design principles. Think about it. Users of your website have to type in numbers and letters obscured by squiggly lines and symbols, only to be told they are wrong several times, even after typing in the correct answer. This is proven to hurt website business and revenue because of the negative feelings it causes. People simply don’t like CAPTCHAS.
- CAPTCHAS can be defeated.
- Why use a CAPTCHA when there are better solutions that don’t inconvenience your website users?
Optimized and Scalable
This plugin has an extremely low overhead and won’t slow down your site, unlike some other anti-spam plugins. Each of the filters in the plugin have been benchmarked, and when processing comments for spam, the fastest filters are put at the front of the stack. Once a comment tests positive for spam, the testing process terminates and will not engage the remaining filters. Additionally, as mentioned above, by keeping spam out of the WordPress database altogether, WP-SpamShield helps keep your database slimmer and more efficient, which in turn helps keep your site running faster. This efficiency helps keep the server load down, and helps improve the overall performance of your site. WP-SpamShield is optimized to work well with all popular caching plugins.
Free for Commercial and Personal Sites
No cost, no hidden fees. This plugin is free for both Commercial and Personal use. If you find that this plugin benefits you, and you’re so inclined, then feel free to make a donation.
Responsive and Helpful Tech Support
If you have any issues with the plugin, Simply submit a support request at the WP-SpamShield Support Page.
- Now WP-SpamShield provides automatic anti-spam protection for: Contact Form 7 forms, Gravity Forms, Ninja Forms, JetPack Contact Forms; BuddyPress, bbPress and WooCommerce registration forms; almost all other WordPress forms; and almost allregistration forms!
- As of version 1.9.2, WP-SpamShield protects JetPack Comments from spam. (Making it one of the few anti-spam plugins that works with JetPack Comments.)
- A counter on your dashboard to keep track of all the spam it’s blocking. The numbers will show how effective this plugin is.
- See what’s been blocked! “Blocked Comment Logging Mode”, a temporary diagnostic mode that logs blocked spam (comments, trackbacks, registrations, and contact form submissions) for 7 days, then turns off automatically. If you want to see what spam has been blocked, or verify that everything is working, turn this on and see what WP-SpamShield is protecting your blog from.
- Multiple languages available and more on the way. Currently includes Dutch (nl_NL), French (fr_FR), German (de_DE), Italian (it_IT), and Serbian (sr_RS) translations. Ready for translation into other languages.
- Easy to install – truly plug and play. Just upload and activate. (Installation Status on the plugin admin page to let you know if plugin is installed correctly.)
- Compatible with and optimized for all popular cache plugins, including WP Super Cache and many others. Not all anti-spam plugins can say that.
- Display your blocked spam stats on your blog. Customizable widgets for graphic counters to display spam stats, in multiple colors, sizes and options.
- Works in WordPress Multisite as well. (See the related FAQ for details.)
- Enhanced Comment Blacklist option. Instead of just sending comments to moderation as with WordPress’s default Comment Blacklist functionality, with this turned on, anything that matches a string in the blacklist will be completely blocked. The Enhanced Comment Blacklist has some improvements over the default WordPress blacklist functionality, and adds a link in the comment & contact form notification emails that will let you blacklist a spammer’s IP with one click.
- WP-SpamShield Whitelist option. Allows you to specify certain users who you want to let bypass the spam filters.
- This plugin is legal to use in Germany and the EU, and does not violate European privacy laws. It does not use any type of cloud-based service, spam data is not transmitted from your server to any other server, and all anti-spam processing happens directly on your website’s server.
- A truly plug and play replacement and upgrade for WP-SpamFree. (A far more advanced fork of WP-SpamFree with dramatically improved page load speed, security, and spam blocking power, by its original author.) It will import your old data from WP-SpamFree automatically upon installation and activation, and features you were using on your site previously such as contact forms and spam stats will continue to work without any changes to pages, posts, or theme.
- Dutch (nl_NL)
- French (fr_FR)
- German (de_DE)
- Italian (it_IT)
- Serbian (sr_RS)
- WordPress 3.9 or higher (Recommended: WordPress 4.0 or higher)
- PHP 5.3 or higher (Recommended: PHP 5.4 or higher)
You can get this plugin by searching for WP-SpamShield Anti-Spam in your WordPress dashboard or by going here